When I found out about these manufacturer mystery boxes for the first time I thought I had stumbled upon an insider secret. Boxes chock full of all kinds of brand new product direct from the manufacturer warehouse. Depending on the manufacturer, a crafter can get a box loaded with product valued from $80 -$150 retail for $35-$50 per box. Year after year I watched amazing boxes along with a few duds be unboxed. But always a little worried of getting that one dud of a box. When I finally decided to take the plunge I came up with some rules/ tips that have served me well and thought I would share them.
- Keep in mind the product in these boxes will be at minimum a year old.
- Start with your “go to” companies, ones you are familiar enough to know past collections/products and if you liked them.
- Try not to have any expectations of what or how much you will receive of a particular collection.
- Check out YouTube for past unboxing videos of that particular manufacturer or company.
- Ask yourself after watching the videos: Did you like the mix of products (brads, flair, stamps, paper etc) included in the box ? Did the box seem like it was worth it? Was there a ton of duplicates?
- How much information has the company given about the box and how comfortable are you with it? For example: Simple Stories let buyers know which collections to expect product. While other companies might just say product from the past two years with a dollar amount.
These boxes can be so much fun and with a little research it can be calculated risk that pays off in great product.
To get you started on a little research for next spring’s warehouse offerings here is my Simple Stories Warehouse Box Reveal.
Until next time……